Message written by

Malcolm Greenhough
April 27, 2006 at 09:32:08:

In Reply to
Re: Andre Gide
posted by
Talyiesin
November 08, 2004 at 11:48:47:

: : Hello Craig, That is an interesting quote eh? "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it...."

: : I am a little curious myself what it means, I am pretty stumped?

: : Another quote of hers I just read was "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time...."

: : I am guessing this means if you are willing to search you wil find?? no maybe not, I'm still to new...But that first one is weird to me, "doubt those that find it" ? It seems like a negative to me, Doubt is something I do not understand I guess. I can't doubt anything and I never do,To me the truth comes from such a larger picture than that of our own ego that in order to find "The Truth" I need to know and understand that nothing is imposible, If I think it and know than it will be.

: : All answers are answers, I change the answers by the questions I ask and I guess even though the questions I could ask are endless...If I can ask all the questions I can get all the answers... right?

: : I can't find a more positive way to see, really I spent more junior high in a pool hall so I got no clue or even the capacity to make an educated guess, I am just such a curious person to see other peoples piont of views, It is neet to see different perspectives.

: : your freindly fellow thinker

: : Curious Jenn

: Merry Meet, Jennifer.

: All right, I'm not quite who you were looking for, but I'll give you my take for what it's worth.

: That first quote, I feel, is a shrewd evaluation of human character. Those who profess ignorance are to be believed, those who don't are not to be believed. So it's a postmodern take on that old adage "everyone sins, some more, some less", adding in that "everyone is ignorant. Some are honest about it and some are not", and further implies that those who are dishonest about it are dishonest in nature, period. Of course, the real world isn't quite so simple. Imagine what the political system would be like if a mob in a conservative region started burning libraries and imprisoning gays, and complained that any federal intervention would be liberal elitists "professing to know everything when they are just as ignorant as we". What we New Agers like to term "physical world" dilemmas tend to have yes/no answers. This ranges from degree of strength from quantitative observations of everyday objects to the intangible, qualititative observations of theoretical science, politics, law, etc. Now, some say that the latter should fall under the banner of things unknowable, of which everyone is equally ignorant, but personally I have doubts about that. However, at the deepest level there are mysteries which belong purely to the spiritual, transcendental plane, which include things like the nature of God, the meaning of life, and what right/wrong really are in their barest states, if indeed they exist (note the difference between this and right/wrong as it relates to public policy). Here, everyone truly are equally ignorant, and anyone with anything resembling a universal answer would hold an awful lot of power. This would be why those who say they are not ignorant of these matters should not be trusted; it's the same reason why we inherently distrust someone who opts to carry around an assault rifle everywhere s/he goes. (I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here... I dunno. Maybe I just like to hear myself talk. Or type, rather.)

: The second one is saying to me that true accomplishments are achieved at the clear risk of failure. More specifically, self discovery, gnosis, understanding the vital truths, etc. in analagous to discovering land. And more specifically, the losing of sight of land would be akin to letting go of certain comfortable safety nets and emotional crutches that we have relied upon up until the point we decide to take a step upwards. This could be anything from disavowing organized religion for those who were brought up to rely on it, to accepting things that cannot be scientifically verified in the strictest sense of the term for those who need the cold comfort of a materialistic worldview, to breaking away from negative old behaviour patterns for those who've undergone some kind of trauma in their lives. And these are but a few examples. Letting go is a prerequisite to ascending spiritually, because maybe that's all there is to ascending spiritually: letting go. I don't have anything close resembling definite answers to these sorts of questions, but I hope my guesses were of some value to you.

: Blessed Be

Dear Jennifer
Lovely name

Why do you not trust your own judgement.
I do not beat about the bush. You are indeed on a path and it would seem to be a right one. Take your time. Be easy and be good. The less strain the more gain. Complex b*** is all very well but not actually necessary. Sometimes misleading. You can't simplify other's confusion unless by their prior consent and understanding.If you be direct then direct will be your result.
Personally I am not very good at tolerance of others' complications.
Conflict is to be avoided since it creates negativity and so I try to help where it can be done more directly.
Having said that,
I personally would never trust anyone who greeted me with the phrase 'Merry Meet".
Well yeah, merry meat, got your drift.
If all hippies were not exterminated, why not?
Let's please move on.

Messages written in reply to Re: Andre Gide:

Your Reply

Write your message below in reply to Re: Andre Gide:

Your name:

Your e-mail address:

Subject of your message:

Comments:

Optional link to a Web URL:

Title of the above link to a Web URL:

Internet URL for an optional image: